Thursday, May 15, 2014

Compassion


Word of the day – Compassion – what does it mean/examples from a faith perspective, how do I show it and how does this make me a better person and the world a better place to live?

I always like to start with definitions – from the Merriam Webster Dictionary @ http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/compassion

Compassion noun \kəm-ˈpa-shən\  
  • a feeling of wanting to help someone who is sick, hungry, in trouble, etc., 
  • sympathetic
  • consciousness of others' distress together with a desire to alleviate it
Examples of compassion – I will cite the corporeal and spiritual works of mercy from the Catholic Faith Tradition. We start with the greatest commandment – Love God and Love Your Neighbor. Extending this notion of love to mercy in action – the corporeal and spiritual works of mercy are rooted in the bible in both the Good Samaritan parable (Luke 10:25-37) and the gospel of Matthew Chapter 25 concerning the Last Judgment.

The corporal works of mercy is as follows:
  • To feed the hungry;
  • To give drink to the thirsty;
  • To clothe the naked;
  • To shelter the homeless;
  • To visit the sick;
  • To ransom the captive;
  • To bury the dead.
The spiritual works of mercy is as follows:
  • To instruct the ignorant;
  • To counsel the doubtful;
  • To admonish sinners;
  • To bear wrongs patiently;
  • To forgive offences willingly;
  • To comfort the afflicted;
  • To pray for the living and the dead. 
     Putting it all together – how do I show true compassion and be a better person? First, I realize that God is love and love leads us to mercy. I do not merit God's love; but, I am given God's love freely and abundantly. My response back to God is to love Him back in the best manner I am capable of with all my human faults and frailties.
     I should express compassion, mercy, charity and love to all and especially with those closest to me. I often think many of us can fall into a myth that people like teachers, social workers, nurses and other medical professionals are somehow more compassionate and better people, perhaps even holier. I disagree and so did Bishop Sheen – work is work and charity is charity. When we are compensated for our work that is labor and work has its own rewards. This does not mean that people who have jobs where the corporeal and spiritual works of mercy are part of the required work are not doing good work. Charity, love, compassion, mercy is spiritual and holy and operates in a different realm than a job description. Compassion, charity and love comes from God and needs to be given in the same manner as God gives.
    Can I be compassionate outside of a belief in God? Yes, certainly and compassion is practiced daily in homes and at work and all kinds of public places by many on a daily basis. When others are compassionate to us we receive a blessing and are recharged to become a better human being. Compassion is one of the feelings that makes us a better version of a human being. 

 


  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment